Hair is considered an "ancestral gift" and is found on almost all parts of the body, but too much hair on some parts of the body can be an inconvenience. Many people, both before and now, have many problems with hair removal. Waxing can cause painful skin, and using a hair removal knife or cream can't prevent hair from growing back. To get rid of hair permanently, what you need to know is laser hair removal.
Laser hair removal is considered to be one of the most reliable and safest methods of hair removal. If you are determined to get rid of unwanted hair permanently, our blog is here to help you. Before undergoing laser hair removal treatment, you need to know everything about it. So, is laser hair removal feasible and worthwhile? How many sessions will it take to completely remove hair? Is it safe?
The Principle of Laser Hair Removal
Many people are curious about how effective laser hair removal is. During laser hair removal, the laser hair removal machine uses a concentrated laser beam to remove unwanted hair. It burns the hair follicle by heating the melanin in the follicle. It is the melanin that determines the color of the hair, however, it is not just the hair.
Melanin can absorb light waves of about 700-1000 nm. After the melanin is heated by the laser, its elevated temperature is transmitted to the surrounding tissue, the hair itself. In turn, the hair and hair follicles die because they cannot withstand the heat. If a professional laser hair removal machine is used for proper laser hair removal treatment, then the skin will not receive any damage.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- Applicability. Laser hair removal can be performed on almost any part of the body. Laser hair removal is suitable for the bikini area, underarms, arms, legs, face, etc. Perhaps the only laser that cannot be used on the eyes.
- Accuracy. With laser hair removal treatment in a professional salon or hospital, you will not suffer any cuts, scratches, and other injuries; the laser hair removal treatment is only responsible for removing the hair.
- Fast. It takes only a fraction of a second for the laser to heat the melanin in the hair. In some cases, laser hair removal treatments on the lips usually take only a minute, so you can imagine how fast laser hair removal can be.
- Predictability. After the first laser hair removal treatment, the specialist will know how your hair will react to the laser and tell you how many laser hair removal sessions you will need.
Compared to hair removal knives, laser hair removal provides longer-lasting results. The structure of the hair becomes thinner, softer, and lighter under the action of the laser. One of the advantages of laser hair removal is that it is affordable because you only have to spend money once on a laser hair removal machine and then you don't have to spend anything later.
Types of Laser Hair Removal
There are four common types of laser hair removal, all of which act on the skin at different wavelengths and safety levels.
- Ruby laser hair removal. The ruby laser has the smallest wavelength of all lasers, even less than 700nm, which means that it is not efficient enough to heat melanin. More or less, this laser is suitable for fair skin and dark hair, but those who have darker skin may get burned during hair removal. This laser does not distinguish between skin and hair when it heats up, so it is very painful.
- Purple Jade laser hair removal. This is an upgraded version of ruby laser hair removal with a wavelength of about 755nm. the laser is slightly less painful during hair removal and better at removing light-colored hair, but still not up to modern needs: as it is not suitable for dark skin, it requires additional cooling and a high level of expert skill. All in all, we wouldn't risk it.
- Diode laser hair removal. Diode laser hair removal is considered by experts to be the best choice for removing unwanted hair. With a wavelength of about 800-810 nm (sometimes up to 900 nm), it can gently burn your hair follicles without harming your skin, and the efficiency of the diode laser does not depend on a person's skin color. In addition, diode laser hair removal machines are usually equipped with a cooling device, which helps to greatly reduce the pain associated with laser heating.
- Neodymium laser. Neodymium laser is the most powerful one which can be used for tattoo removal. It has a wavelength of 1064 nm, which is longer than any other laser hair removal machine. Its purpose is not to destroy the hair, but to stop its nutrient absorption. If the hair follicle does not absorb the nutrients, it will die. However, the neodymium laser is also extremely sensitive to the hand that controls it.
As you can see, there are many options when it comes to using a laser for hair removal. Most salons now have both violet Jade laser hair removal machines and diode laser hair removal machines. If you have dark hair and light skin, you can generally not care which laser you use for hair removal. If you have blonde or red hair and dark skin, we recommend that you use the diode laser for hair removal.
The amount of pain experienced during laser hair removal depends on the exact location where hair needs to be removed and your sensitivity to pain. Of course, laser hair removal in sensitive areas such as the bikini area will feel more intense than on the legs.
However, on average, laser hair removal is the best of all procedures for removing unwanted hair because it is the least painful and most effective. Some people feel only slight discomfort, but it is a tolerable level. Honestly, we haven't heard of anyone being in pain the entire time when using a modern laser hair removal machine with a cooling feature.